Meeting opened: 19.50
Visitors: Barry & Marijke Stuart – Recently sailed in Turkey with life members Dudley Young & Jenny Maruff
Damien Sewell – a Taipan sailor
Michael Bishop – a catarmaran sailor who recently completed 3 legs of the ‘Clipper Round the world Yacht Race’
Dean Jefferies – has a 45’ Ketch
Trevor Jack – club member
November minutes not available due to computer glitch.
Annual General Meeting. All office bearers re-elected. Additional appointment of Bruce Reeler as membership officer.
In: Kwik Kopy statement ; Suncorp Statement.
The treasurer reported the following figures:
Bar Til: $ 331.60
Suncorp Current Account: $3062.47
Suncorp Savings Account: $188,702
Membership renewal has gone out. Many have renewed. New system is working well.
Moved the accounts be accepted- by Leon Degenaars; seconded by Wolfgang Veit
Big Boatreport - Mike Hodges
· Sean Langman active in reviving Multihull ocean racing down south.
· Sydney to Mooloolaba Yacht Race – 9thApril. 9 Starters so far. This will bring boats up from Sydney to do the B2G.
Two Races so far this year:
· Combined Clubs Surf to City – Inside & Outside
· MYCQ Odin Trophy – Renaissance, Frequent Flyer, Boss Racing& Spook.
Brisbane to Gladstone Race& Rally:
Mike announced - on the 15th& 16th of February – Weigh & Measuring for OMR for the B2G will take place at the boat ramp adjacent the RQ maintenance area. Would like volunteers to assist.
Sponsorship – Jim Stubbings
· Mike Hodges has secured the Platinum Sponsor for B2G - APC Logistics. The company is owned by Tony Considine – of ‘Mad Max’ fame.
· Other sponsorships signed up: 2 gold; 2 silver; some bronze left
· An article will appear in next months Multihull World – thanks to Chris Dewar.
· Local PR – Barb Stubbings. A number of local papers are looking for local sailors in various areas of Moreton Bay through to Gladstone who are either racers, cruisers, or rallyers in the B2G to give local angles.
· Ted Kerr – In the Surf to City we had a good tussle with Jag. Unfortunately we blew a kite.
· The Moreton Bay Classic will be held on the 22nd23rd of February.
· Jim Fern & Lyle Stanaway, of Jag fame, have a new boat – trimaran -“Hasta la Vista”. Congratulations!
Cruising- Ray Perry
A pleasant sail to Noosa via Mooloolaba was enjoyed by Peter & Alison of Steppin Along in company with Ray & Sue of Purr-fik. Calm conditions meant crossing the Noosa bar was easy. For New Year the crews were joined by Commodore Bruce and Lyn and members Col & Di as well as some local cat owners.
This weekend there is a change of destination from Kooringal to the Sandhills to meet up with the Cleveland Yacht Club Race/Rallyers.
MYCQ now fully accredited with Yachting Qld
John Hamaty reported on the launch of the newest Sailability group based at Graceville. A successful day included 80 guests with 20 clients enjoying the delights of a sail on the Brisbane River in the specially designed heavy keelboats. Mike Hodges has generously supplied his pontoon boat which is able to take wheel chair passengers. The newly formed group is looking for volunteers and donations to buy their own boats.
· Saturday 29thMarch- 50thBirthday Celebration to be held at the Clubhouse.
· Thursday 10thApril. Rally /Cruisers B2G briefing
· Wednesday 16th April. B2G Race Briefing
Commodore Bruce awarded the 2013 Kareela Trophy to Phillipa Bolt – for Best Cruising story of the Year. See November edition of Multinews – The Cruise of the 3 Trailerables.
ST50 masthead windvane required by Bruce Dixon
PLB’s – mini EPIRBs. – Contact Phil Day if required as he has been able to secure a good price on a bulk deal.
Guest Speaker: Michael Bishop - Clipper Around the World Race.
Michael took us all on an exhilarating ride giving us an insight into his experience of training off the coast of England, sailing the southern ocean from Albany to Sydney; participating in the Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race; and the third leg sailing from Hobart to Brisbane. All the thrills and action were passionately relayed. The light through the back of the 30 foot waves of Bass Straight just before it washed over the boat a combination of thrill and dread. Thank you Michael.